The Application Process
The Tampa Area Electrical JATC interviews applicants monthly to fill the slots available in the apprenticeship program. Provided there is sufficient work opportunities available the training committee will start a new class each January, April, and September. The step-by-step section below is intended to help you understand each step of the application process.
- Step 1
- Each applicant must complete an application form, accurately responding to all questions and items including statements indicating that they are:
- physically and mentally able to safely perform or learn to safely perform essential functions of the job either with or without reasonable accommodations.
- able to get to and from work at job sites anywhere within the geographical area that this apprenticeship program covers.
- able and willing to attend all related classroom training as required to complete their apprenticeship.
- able to climb and work from ladders, poles and towers of various heights.
- able to crawl and work in confined spaces such as attics, manholes and crawlspaces.
- able to read, hear and understand instructions and warnings
- Step 2
- Submit a copy of your high school transcripts, GED scores, or documentation verifying trade related experience (whichever is applicable).
- Step 3
- Once your application is reviewed by the office staff you will be scheduled to take the NJATC Aptitude Test. This test covers both Math and Reading Comprehension. A qualifying score must be attained in order to qualify for the program.
Need to brush up on your math or reading skills? Electric Prep has partnered with the NJATC to offer voluntary courses to support applicants during the entrance process for the IBEW/NECA apprenticeship training program to provide a better understanding of the electrical construction industry and the requirements. Click here to be directed to the Electric Prep website.
- Step 4
- The final step in the application process is the oral interview with the training committee. Once interviewed, you will be placed on a Ranking list for possible selection into the program. The training committee typically makes this selection one month prior to the start of school